Clubs and Organizations
Extracurricular Activities for Students
The Student Affairs Office has activities planned for the students throughout the year. Students have opportunities to participate in community and careerrelated organizations, volunteer programs, and more. Organizations and volunteer opportunities are listed below.
Alpha Iota Sorority (Alpha Beta Chapter and Peoria Alumnae Chapter)
This organization is an international honorary business sorority for women of high scholastic achievement. Its purpose is to make each member a better businesswoman through the development of self-confidence, leadership skills, and awareness of responsibility to herself and her community. The spirit of loyalty, friendship, cooperation, and education fostered during college years continues for life. Annual International, District, and Local dues of $76.00 can be incorporated into the student’s financial aid package. The membership application is completed with the Director of Student Affairs. Students are encouraged to renew their membership until graduation and upon graduation members are encouraged retain their membership as a professional member.
Heartspring was adopted as the Alpha Iota International Service Project in 1949. Located in Wichita, Kansas, it is one of the few residential speech and hearing rehabilitation facilities in the United States. The Sorority has contributed over $100,000.00 towards the cost of training individual children at Heartspring, and in 1994 was one of the several patron organizations honored at the 60th Anniversary Celebration of Heartspring.
The Peoria Alumnae Chapter volunteers locally at the Center for Prevention of Abuse. The Center for Prevention of Abuse has been a statewide leader to end abuse and make our homes, schools, and communities safer. They provide confidential and compassionate service in a safe environment with
American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)–Central Illinois Chapter & Midstate Medics
All Medical Assistant A.A.S. Degree students are encouraged to enroll as a student member in the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA). As a member of AAMA students are enrolled as members of the chapter of their choice. This membership is important to the development of professionalism and leadership in students attending our accredited (CAAHEP and AAMA) Medical Assistant program. Student membership is approximately $38.50 per year, and dues can be incorporated into the student’s financial aid package. Students should see their department director for information on how to enroll in the organization. Students are encouraged to renew their membership until graduation and upon graduation members are encouraged retain their membership as a professional member.
All Allied Health students are encouraged to attend the meetings and other activities of this club. Goals of the club are to promote better understanding of health care professions, provide networking, and promote unification throughout the healthcare professions.
American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
All Health Information Technology A.A.S. Degree students are encouraged to enroll as a student member in the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Students are enrolled as members of the Illinois Component State Association, the Illinois Health Information Management Association (ILHIMA). Student membership is $45.00 per year, and dues can be incorporated into the student’s financial aid package. Students should see their department director for information on how to enroll in the organization. Students are encouraged to renew their membership until graduation and upon graduation members are encouraged retain their membership as a professional member.
- Valuable peer networking opportunities through the AHIMA Communities of Practice (CoP)
- Subscription to the peer-reviewed Journal of the American Health Information Management Association
- Eligibility for scholarships through the AHIMA Foundation of Research and Education (FORE)
- Access to the FORE Library and HIM Body of Knowledge
- Access to the AHIMA Job Bank
- Discounts on AHIMA books and other products
Standards of the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education recommend exposing students to the professional organization.
Central Illinois Health Information Management Association (CIHIMA)
CIHIMA is a regional association, which is separate from AHIMA and ILHIMA. Annual membership dues for CIHIMA are $10. CIHIMA provides quarterly educational meetings in Peoria, Normal, and other locations in Central Illinois. Student price to attend CIHIMA quarterly meetings is $12.50 for the full day of education.
Central Illinois Paralegal Association (CIPA)
CIPA is the local association for Paralegals. Student membership dues are $35 per year, and dues can be incorporated into the student’s financial aid package. Membership provides opportunities for networking in the legal field and much more. The CIPA application for membership must be completed through the Legal Studies Department and the Student Affairs office.
Illinois Court Reporters Association (ILCRA)
All Realtime Reporting students are encouraged to enroll as student members in the Illinois Court Reporters Association. Student membership is available at www.ilcra.org and is approximately $40 per year. To incorporate the dues into your student financial aid package, please see the Realtime Reporting Coordinator for details.
Benefits of student membership in ILCRA:
- A subscription to Ad Infinitum, a quarterly online newsletter containing upto- the-minute reporting developments throughout the state, highlights of board meetings, and advertisements.
- Access to the ILCRA Online Mentors Program.
- Significantly reduced rates for state conventions and seminars.
- Opportunity to compete for annual student scholarships.
- Access to resources on the ILCRA website.
The Midstate Jurists represent the Legal Studies department at Midstate College. All current students of the Paralegal Studies degree program and all graduates of the Paralegal Studies degree program that are currently enrolled in other programs are eligible to join and attend the Midstate Jurists’ meetings and events. All students in the Paralegal Studies degree program are encouraged to attend the meetings and other activities of this group.
The purpose/goals of the Midstate Jurists include:
- To promote the paralegal profession
- To encourage and provide for the continuing education for paralegals
- To act as a communications network among members of the Midstate College Paralegal Studies program, the paralegal profession, the legal community, and civic and professional organizations
- To participate in and conduct research, seminars, studies or other works relative to the paralegal profession
- To monitor activities and inform its members of the developments in the paralegal profession
- To recognize the importance of ethical standards in the paralegal profession
- To offer understanding and support for program peers and professionals
Paralegal Studies students are also encouraged to join the Central Illinois Paralegal Association and at least one of the national associations which include:
- National Association of Legal Assistants
- National Federation of Paralegal Associations
- National Paralegal Association
These organizations promote fellowship among the paralegal students and expand the student’s horizons through networking and continuing education opportunities in the legal field.
National Court Reporters Association (NCRA)
All Realtime Reporting students are encouraged to enroll as a student member in the National Court Reporters Association. This membership is important to the development of professionalism and leadership in students attending our NCRA-certified Realtime Reporting program. Student membership is approximately $65.00 per year, and dues can be incorporated into the student’s financial aid package. Please see the Program Coordinator for information.
Membership provides the students with the opportunity to:
- Receive the printed NCRA Sourcebook, a resource and referral network
- Stay informed with your annual subscription to the Journal of Court Reporting (JCR), the premier resource for court reporting professionals
- Stay in the know with the JCR Weekly, a digest of court reporting news and technology trends delivered directly to the student’s inbox
- Get competitive and earn more with NCRA Certifications
- Stay current in the profession with NCRA’s convenient and comprehensive continuing education programs
- Take advantage of NCRA member discounts for exams and premier events
- Save on NCRA Store items
Midstate College Rotaract (Central Illinois Division)
Rotaract is a community service-oriented club for college students that meets monthly. Nationally, Rotaract has over 184,000 members in more than 8,000 clubs worldwide. The meetings include a variety of speakers, planning activities for community service projects, and networking. As part of the dedication to the motto, “Service above self,” Rotaract clubs are considered to be “partners in service” to the sponsoring Rotary club. Midstate Rotaract is a component organization of Central Illinois Rotaract sponsored by Rotary Peoria–North. Annual dues are $25 and can be incorporated into the student’s financial aid package. Contact the Business/Accounting Advisor for an application. Students are encouraged to renew their membership until graduation and upon graduation members are encouraged to obtain their membership as a professional member in Rotary.
Student Volunteer/Achievement Program (SVAP)
This program is designed to allow students to obtain points for becoming involved in extracurricular activities and achievements. Students involved with the program turn in activity sheets to the Student Affairs Department, which keeps a tally of their accomplishments. These students become involved with everything from community service, volunteer work, sports, tutoring, clubs and organizations, to helping out with school-sponsored events. There are four different levels of awards based on points obtained, and an award is given at the commencement ceremony to the most outstanding student.