Objectives and Strategic Initiatives
The mission of Midstate College is to provide educational opportunities that emphasize skills and knowledge that will allow the student to adjust through a lifetime of social and technological change. We recognize that education is vital in developing skills needed for a productive society and essential in promoting the individual’s sense of worth, values, and high ethical standards. The College is committed to offering quality education that meets the needs of its students and assisting them in clarifying and pursuing their professional and educational goals.
In fulfilling the mission of Midstate College, the institution sets forth the following objectives which reflect the overall goals of the College:
- To provide a varied selection of academic curricula in business and specialized areas enriched with instruction in general education.
- To provide the students with a background of job skills which will enhance their employability.
- To provide the students with basic skills which contribute to success in their careers and in their private lives.
- To lead the student in the self-discovery process of clarifying and raising the individual’s goals and achievements commensurate with the student’s potential.
- To provide a framework and atmosphere of learning which will enhance the student’s capability to demonstrate ethical and moral values in professional, personal, and business situations.
- To strive for and maintain excellence in business, specialized, and general education by systematically reviewing classroom facilities, equipment, curricula, faculty, and staff.
- To make available to our students activities and experiences which foster personal growth and leadership qualities that will assist students in their social, vocational, and academic pursuits.
- To provide placement assistance for graduates and students through individual counseling.
- To maintain a process of communication with the community of employers to assure relevant curricula to meet the developing needs of the economic community.
Midstate College was established as Brown’s Business College in 1888 to train Civil War veterans in business and to assist them in becoming successful in their civilian life. The students’ well-being, both in their personal lives and in their chosen careers, was the foundation of existence for this institution. Our achievement in providing the basis for fulfilling these students’ needs over the years has been the predominant factor in the longevity of the College. Today’s Midstate College is a greatly expanded version of its 1888 predecessor. Midstate College has developed a variety of curricula, accreditations, and other improvements to better meet the needs of our students and community. To enhance the individual’s feeling of self-worth and dignity through education is the major premise of our existence. The continual development of graduates who are successful in their work and their personal lives will serve as our challenge for the foreseeable future. We accept our responsibility with pride.
Code of Ethics
- We value responsible, accountable, ethical behavior in an atmosphere of honest, open communication with mutual respect and caring for each other.
- We value creative risk-taking and enthusiastic pursuit of new ideas.
- Continuous Improvement
- We value continuous improvement of our programs, services, and processes through employee empowerment and professional development in a team-based culture.
- Customer Focus
- We value commitment to student success and satisfaction by responding to customer needs.
- We value an educational environment that attracts, nurtures, and supports a diverse student and staff community.
Strategic Initiatives 2017-2020
Develop New Academic Programs and Accreditations
- Develop and gain approval to offer the MBA (2017)
- Develop and gain approval to offer a master’s degree in IT
- Develop a new program in the medical field
- Gain CAHIIM accreditation of Health Information Administration B.S.
Sustain a Culture of Academic Quality Improvement
- Review the Mission, Vision, Institutional Objectives, Code of Ethics, and Philosophy (2017-2019)
- Higher Learning Commission Comprehensive Quality Review (December 2017)
- Improve academic assessment through participation in the HLC Assessment Academy (2017-2021)
- Support Growth and Diversification of the Student Population through the Enrollment of International Students
- Improve Academic and Administrative Program Review
Cultivate and Support Student Success and Retention
- Achieve a 45% six-year graduation rate by 2020 for all cohort groups
- Develop College Readiness Boot Camp
- Improve student academic advising
Enhance Online Presence
- Join State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement
- Create online orientation
- Develop online registration
- Offer online bookstore
- Recruit students from new geographic markets
Improve Connectivity with Stakeholders
- Develop more robust relationships with employers
- Enhance alumni relationships through events
- Establish an educational foundation
- Increase partnerships with other educational institutions