Prior Learning Assessment
Turn Your Professional Experience into College Credit
The Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Office at Midstate College offers many programs and services in addition to prior learning assessment to assist you with educational planning in preparation for:
- receiving credit for documented learning;
- reducing the time it takes to finish studies; and
- decreasing the cost of obtaining a degree.
The knowledge you've gained from a variety of areas such as corporate and on-the-job training, military training, community service, volunteer work, seminars, workshops, travel study and independent research can be evaluated for credit toward your degree through the Prior Learning Assessment program at Midstate College.
Six Ways to Earn College Credit
- Prior Learning Portfolio: Document your experiential learning with a portfolio presentation.
- Credit by Examination: Verify your mastery of a subject through recognized testing programs (CLEP, DANTES, etc.).
- Corporate Seminars and Workshops: Apply toward your degree when approved by the American Council on Education.
- Military Training: Convert training to college credit when validated by the American Council on Education.
- Classes from other accredited institutions: Submit your transcripts to be evaluated (Transfer Coordinator will determine which credits are transferable).
- Midstate coursework: Complete on campus or online.